Thursday, September 22, 2011

For the last five years of my life, I have spent my entire school life in a single sex school. Untrue to popular beliefs that this creates a very bitchy environment for girls, I have grown to love this system and incredibly comfortable with 'the way girls do things'. Compulsory education has passed swiftly and I am now in my last two years of school before university. The sixth form I go to, is a partnership of the boys' school and the girls'. After five years of having little contact with boys, I am now thrown back into a 'mixed' school education.
To say the least, boys are very different to girls. The phrase "men are from mars and women are from venus" seems like a suitable phrase to describe my feelings right now. I just find boys are so insensitive, harsher with their jokes and judgemental. They are more careless about other people's feelings and have no care for what anyone else thinks of them. To be fair, I might be a bit hypocritical myself in making such a snap judgement in the second week of school but this describes my opinion of them thus far. I hope this negativity shifts.
Actually, I think I might know why I have reacted so badly towards boys. I'm not someone who likes change; in many ways, I'm someone who, if something works adequately well, I would like it to remain the same. Starting sixth form has brought on a lot of change: new teachers, buildings, systems, more work, more people. Perhaps actually, this is a sign that I haven't yet adapted to change. For sure, I have to adapt myself to suit the world. I guess what I wanted to say is that I have to accept that a school system with boys works differently to a system purely with girls and that's a change I have to adapt to.

No comments: